Makes 1 14" pizza Prep: 20 minutes plus rising Bake: 30 minutes
1 package active dry-yeast
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
3 1/4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 clove garlic, ground
toppings of your choice
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Add 1/4 cup flour and the sugar; stir together. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
2. Stir the remaining 1 cup lukewarm water, 3 cups flour, the cornmeal and salt into the yeast mixture. Combine the butter and garlic; mix into the dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until soft and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Lightly grease a large bowl, add the dough and turn to coat. Cover and set in a warm place until the dough is doubled in size, 1 hour.
4. Punch down the dough, then knead for 2 to 3 minutes. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, then press in the dough to cover the bottom and 2 inches up the sides; let rise for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 500°. Top the pizza dough with your favorite toppings. Lower the oven to 450° and bake for 30 minutes.